NORCO, LA—March 15, 2016—For five consecutive years, M S Benbow & Associates (MSB) has received the Safety Excellence Award for outstanding workforce safety performance at the Shell Norco Chemical Plant and Motiva Norco Refinery in St. Charles Parish, La. Continue reading
DIMS Group at Shell/Motiva Norco achieves 10,000+ hour safety record
NORCO, LA—June 6, 2013—M S Benbow & Associates (MSB) was recognized with the 2012 Safety Excellence Award for its workplace safety performance at the Shell Norco Chemical Plant and Motiva Norco Refinery in St. Charles Parish, La. Continue reading
A large Oil & Gas storage and transportation company with a major storage location in Texas and various stations along its pipeline needed assistance analyzing its electric utility system. The company’s liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) storage complex in Mont Belvieu, Texas, one of the nation’s largest, delivers LPG to customers as far away as New York. The facility was experiencing excessive voltage drops under normal conditions and various rural locations along the distribution pipeline also were experiencing electrical transmission issues.
The company needed a qualified engineering company to perform analyses and make recommendations for improving the electrical distribution system at the Mont Belvieu storage property as well as several rural locations along the pipeline system.
Understanding how electric generation, transmission, and delivery systems interact and operate is paramount to guaranteeing reliable sources of electricity. Bringing a combination of detailed theoretical modeling and real-word experience, M S Benbow & Associates (MSB) was enlisted to conduct power system engineering studies and provide system capacity and optimization analyses for the oil and gas pipeline electrical system.
MSB evaluated existing studies performed by local power utility companies and developed a model of the storage facility’s electrical distribution system using SKM Power*Tools DAPPER and TMS software modules. Engineers also performed a modified load flow and motor starting analysis and a system fault current analysis.
MSB provided detailed flow analysis reports for several operating scenarios, a transient motor starting analysis for different starting methods and operating loads, recommendations to improve and upgrade the performance of the electrical system, and cost estimates for different solutions for achieving varying degrees of reliability.
The client applied the studies to its upgrade projects and was able to determine the most cost-effective solutions for optimizing the electrical distribution system that met its financial and reliability goals.
The client realized savings at the storage facility by improving voltage levels without having to increase distribution voltage or purchase and install electrical equipment such as auto-transformers and larger conductors. In one location along the pipeline route, the local utility recommended a seven-figure investment to install new lines while the client was able to present a six-figure alternative recommended in the MSB-provided analysis. The line work was later scheduled as part of the utility’s routine maintenance at no cost to the client, resulting in substantial financial savings.
Since 1978, M S Benbow & Associates (MSB) has engineered and designed instrumentation and control systems for Gulf Coast clients in multiple industries. Our senior engineers have specialized experience in control systems, analytical applications and safety instrumented systems. From conception through detailed design, we can service any need in process measurements, distributed control systems, PLC programming, analytical measurements, and critical safety instrumented systems.
Petroleum and chemical refineries around the Gulf South regularly call on MSB to handle projects that address safety and compliance and provide financial return from improved operations. MSB holds a Safety Instrumented Systems Certification from the International Society of Automation.
- Provide engineering and design for the construction and implementation of various process measurement, monitoring, and control instrumentation.
- Modify existing ladder programs for applications or specify and program a new controller and/or HMI screens.
- Specify and design a host of analytical systems ranging from O2 and ph monitoring to continuous emissions monitoring for EPA compliance.
- Identify and implement new process controls or optimize a facility’s or pipeline’s measurements and controls.
- Assist in the risk and hazard analysis process and calculate SIL for various instrumented system scenarios.
- Identify appropriate safety level systems.
- Perform turnaround/shutdown planning, coordination and supervision assistance.
- Design supervisory control and data acquisition systems.
- Members of the International Society of Automation (ISA). For a complete list of all affiliations and certifications click here.
M S Benbow & Associates (MSB) specializes in project management providing services in conceptualization, definition, design, planning, coordination, scheduling and implementation. We adhere to a project management methodology based on the doctrine advocated by the Project Management Institute and its PMBOK® guide that is tailored to fit the technical and commercial terms of the project. The planning process and scope definition result in classic Work Breakdown Structures (WBS) and templates that are valuable tools for organizing and managing the actual work, duration and budget involved in producing a deliverable.
We have a strong commitment to dependable and reliable project management capabilities that include electrical, instrumentation, mechanical, civil/structural and communication engineering services. We have managed new project installations, equipment upgrades, plant turn-around operations, and retrofit projects for clients throughout the Gulf South. MSB’s senior level managers have an average of more than 20 years experience in the engineering design, construction, procurement, and consulting phases of project management.
- Perform project plan development including scope definition and planning; activity definition, sequencing, duration estimating, and scheduling; resource planning, cost estimating and budgeting; and, risk identification, analysis and management planning.
- Develop a project schedule by factoring the structure, sequence of tasks, and constraints of the project and its activities.
- Coordinate and evaluate bids and RFQs to provide recommendations to the client.
- Create project budgets using cost considerations and baselining to support earned value measurement and reporting.
- Execute project plan with attention to quality assurance, team development, information distribution, solicitation and source selection, and contract administration.
- Integrate change control through scope verification; schedule, cost and quality controls; performance reporting; and, risk monitoring and control.
- Tailor Microsoft Project and other software tools to highlight milestones and critical path line items and to create custom reporting that match the requirements of the project and client.
- Schedule routine meetings with the client and subcontractors to review progress, provide statistical reporting and discuss the impact of variances and deviations from the overall plan.
- Communicate with contractors, suppliers and consultants to ensure project is completed efficiently, on schedule and within budget.
- Perform contract closeout and administrative closure.
- Members of the Louisiana Engineering Society (LES), National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) and Louisiana Society of Professional Engineers. For a complete list of all affiliations and certifications click here.